I wonder if you sometimes feel depressed? If so, you're not alone; it's a serious problem even among many Christian people, though so many don't recognise it. Today I hope this gives you some direction and help to deal with the problem.
King David suffered depression! He talked about it in Psalm 42.
Psalm 42:5 Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance.
David’s depression is described in the Word as follows:
- He had spiritual dryness - Psalm 42:1-2 As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?
Psalm 42:9 I will say to God my Rock, “Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
- He cried continually - Psalm 42:3 "My tears have been my food day and night."
- He felt shame and defeat - Psalm 42:3 While they continually say to me, “Where is your God?”
- He had lingering memories - Psalm 42:4 "When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise. With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast."
- He had overwhelming circumstances - Psalm 42:6-7 "O my God, my soul is cast down within me. Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan, and from the heights of Hermon, from the Hill Mizar. 7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls, all Your waves and billows have gone over me."
God's Word has made spiritual provision for those with depression:
- Look WITHIN and ANALYSE your heart - Psalm 42:5 "Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance."
- Look UPWARD and RECOGNISE your help comes from The Lord - Psalm 42:8-9 The Lord will command His loving kindness in the daytime, and in the night His song shall be with me— A prayer to the God of my life. 9 I will say to God my Rock, "Why have You forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
- Look ONWARD and REALISE your hope and faith in His Word - Psalm 42:11 Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
If depression is a problem with you, I suggest you seek help from your minister or counsellor. I do have a manual on the subject called HOW TO HANDLE DEPRESSION, a study in Psalm 42 & 43. If you would like a copy it's available for $25 [Post free] from Dr. Norm Campbell PO Box 600 South Morang, Victoria 3752 Australia.